On Sunday, our water heater went out. Mig tried to fix it but it was not happening. He called the manufacturer on Monday and they sent a part out to us by Fedex. So we waited. .
No hot showers or baths for us. It was fine though. We made do.
On Tuesday, the part arrived and Mig fixed the water heater. (Yay!)
I've never been so grateful for hot, running water. (Something I will not take for granted from now on.)
It just made me think, I love how it's the week of Thanksgiving and God really brought our family back to the basics. Hot water is such a simple thing, but I don't really think about it much. It's just there in your house, except for when it's not. Then you start to miss it. . .
God showed me something else earlier this week too. On Monday morning, it was very cold when we left the house. I commented on how cold it was and while we drove off, I wished I had worn a warmer sweater.
As I drove to Michael's school, I turned on the heater. When I passed this donut shop that we go by every morning, I saw this homeless man asleep on the sidewalk near a bush.
We first noticed this man, or actually I should say that Elizabeth first noticed him a couple weeks ago. I drive by there every single morning and I'm ashamed to say that I never noticed him until Eliz spotted him one morning and asked why he was sleeping outside. Now, we see him pretty much everyday.
And he was there Monday morning as I complained about the cold. A little voice inside my heart told me: Yes it's cold, but you've only been cold for like 5 minutes. This man just slept outside the whole night.
After putting things in that perspective, I felt silly for even complaining.
This tug on my heart, and questions from Elizabeth about the homeless man inspired us to create Care Kits that night. They had soap, toothpaste, a toothbrush, santizing hand wipes, chapstick, and drinks/snacks.

I want my kids to know that we are very blessed, so we should try to be a blessing to others. I also want them to know that when they come across a trying situation (like no hot water), instead of being angry or frustrated at this inconvenience, that they can instead open their hearts to see what God is trying to teach them in that situation.
It's amazing what God will show you, if you just allow yourself to listen.
Though I try to live everyday with a grateful heart, this week, I am simply thankful for my home, hot water, and the people I share my home with.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .