Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Guilty....but with an explanation

Elizabeth's school year started out a little rough, behavior-wise...
She just has so much energy and she loves to talk, talk, talk so she was a little unprepared for all the seriousness that is 1st grade these days.

Her class has this behavior card system where everyone starts the day with a green card. Then should any behavior problems arise, they change their card to yellow, and then if needed, to red.

Within the first two weeks of school, Eliz had changed her card to yellow almost everyday and once even to red !
She hadn't told us about this moving-her-card-almost-everyday business until I received her class newsletter which outlined this behavior policy and stated that any student in the class whose card remained green the whole week would receive a behavior reward on Friday. So since Eliz's behavior rewards seemed to be M.I.A. she fessed up about all her yellow cards.

But she's improved so much throughout the year and has only changed her card to yellow a few times since then.

-------------------------------------

Last night, Eliz was behaving a little unusual. By unusual, I mean she was actually listening to me so I didn't have to ask her to do something 5 times. She got ready for bed all by herself without trying to negotiate with me or stall. She was just being too compliant so I knew something was up, but I let it go.

She went to bed and since Mig and Michael had already turned in early for the night, I went to bed too.
About 20 minutes later, Elizabeth's dark, shadowy figure appeared by my bedside.

Me: "Elizabeth? You're supposed to be asleep already..."
Eliz: Silence.
Me: "Elizabeth, what do you need sweetie?"
Eliz: "I moved my card today."
Me: "You did? Why didn't you tell me earlier? What did you do?"
Eliz: "Well, see...uh..I was playing during recess with the sand and making ghost sand..."
(I don't know what 'making ghost sand' is, but apparently it involves throwing sand up in the air as you will soon see....)
"...and then some wind came and the wind blew sand into some kid's eyes, and so I had to move my card to yellow."

(Wow, I was impressed with the way she had both personified and projected blame onto the wind. Very sophisticated.)

Me: "That's ok Elizabeth. Just go to back to bed."

But she didn't move. She just stood there.

Eliz: "I have to tell Dad."
Me: "No, that's ok. He's asleep. Just go to bed."
Eliz: "But I have to tell Dad."

I knew that her poor little guilty conscience had probably prevented her from falling asleep before this so I finally said, "Ok. Tell Dad then."
So she woke him up and told him the whole story about making the ghost sand (which I still don't fully understand) and how the wind just came and blew the sand into this kid's eyes.

So Mig told her, "It's ok, we'll talk about it tomorrow."

So with the guilt removed from Eliz's little conscience, she went back to bed and fell right asleep...

124 comments:

  1. Aww poor little princess! At least she felt the need to tell both mommy and daddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute she had to confess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, This was so funny...kids seem to bring so much entertainment into your lives. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her honesty at such a young age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isnt it funny how we suspect something is up when they are actually listening?! My 7yo is the same way, she will tell on herself usually right away though. She likes to try to blame other things too and then I tell her start over and this time the truth! How cute that she had to tell you guys to lift the guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi stopping by from SITS enjoy your featured blogger day!
    Collette xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww..... you can't beat a bit of conscience cleansing!! What a sweetheart.

    Congrats on making FB.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't sleep on a guilty conscience, either. Even if it totally wasn't my fault and the wind really did it.

    Bless her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww...poor sweet baby.I think thats precious....atleast she didnt hide what she did! Stopping over from SITS :>

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww what a sweet little girl.
    I'm not sure I like that behaviour policy in that school. Seems a bit harsh for their self esteem.
    What happened to the good ole star system.?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww what a sweet little girl.
    I'm not sure I like that behaviour policy in that school. Seems a bit harsh for their self esteem.
    What happened to the good ole star system.?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH! Bless her poor little heart!

    My firstborn was like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, poor Elizabeth. :( I'm glad she was able to get that off her chest, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, the wee soul. This is what my eldest does too; she can't sleep with anything preying on her mind until the need to confess gets too much for her to bear. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi www.greedygirlsguide.com Checking in from SITS.

    Great story at least she's learning right from wrong and not to hide a lie early. You'll be happy about this in the future

    ReplyDelete
  16. I certainly didn't have that thought process in elementary school.... Oh how I hope my children will though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a sweet story! She'll probably love hearing this one day.

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nothing like a little bit of guilt every now and then for the soul... Enjoy your SITS day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww...confession is good for the soul! What a sweet little girl.

    Hope you enjoy your SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so cute that she had to confess before she could sleep! I'm not sure my boys would ever feel that guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cute. My Son had the same system in 1st grade. He was never on Red however I heard daily about the same few children who were.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It must of really wore on her if she couldn't fall asleep until she talked to dad.....Have a great SITS day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aaaw, how sweet! That's awesome that she needed to unload her guilt. ;) That'll come in handy when she's a teen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad that her conscience wouldn't let her sleep. I enjoyed the way you told the story!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy SITS DAY. Liked your story.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bless her heart.

    Congrats on your SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't tell you how many times I've been in that position!

    Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, what a sweet little thing!! I hate that guilty conscience, sick to the stomach feeling. Poor kid!!

    Here from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Don't you just love the honesty of children - what a sweetie.

    Happy FB day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How wonderful that she came clean without any prodding! My kids usually need lotsa prodding :)
    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Poor thing! She deserves big hugs for her honesty, even if it was at the midnight hour. She sounds like a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is adorable! Great post!

    Congrats on your FB spotlight today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. We have the color coded cards in our school district as well, and the first time Carley had to change her card to yellow she came home crying!

    It really does make your heart melt to see the way they're growing up with integrity right before your eyes!

    From SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  34. She sounds adorable! Poor little thing, it wasn't her fault!!!!
    What a cutie.....love this post!

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awww to be so innocent. It seem like you have already installed good values and a great moral compass in her :)

    Just popped by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Aw, what a sweet girl to want to come clean:) Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This story is so sweet thanks for sharing and happy SITS day

    ReplyDelete
  38. Simply adorable. You're raising her right!

    Congrats on being FB.

    ReplyDelete
  39. That poor child!

    In my 3rd grade class, we had a similar system but with clothespins. I NEVER got in trouble, but one day I made a joke that apparently the teacher didn't appreciate.

    I was so indignant that I was in trouble, but later, I felt so guilty and I think I cried when I told my mom.

    She could've cared less. And SHE thought my joke was funny! So there!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awwww...poor thing!

    My oldest daugther will be in first grade. She's a talker too. I wonder how she'll do!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh the poor sweetie! I'm glad that she was able to relax after telling you about this event. She sounds like a really great kid!

    ReplyDelete
  42. what a sweet pea, i can attest the wind is a tricky thing...happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh that's too cute...guilty conscience, tee hee!

    Jamie :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh, the things I have to look forward to... Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  45. So cute! It's good to know that I am not the only person who acted like that when I was 6.

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wish some politicians would take a page from her book! Happy SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Awww, how sweet! Long may the honesty last! I think we can all identify with the feeling of a guilty conscience and the weight that is lifted when you finally 'fess up.

    Jess
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love how she confesses without really confessing. you have a smart, spirited, and spunky one there! don't ever try to change her...
    HAPPY SITS DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Isn't it amazing when we see them grow up and start to take responsibility for their actions. Very cool that she needed to let her parents know.

    ReplyDelete
  50. A yellow card and then a red card for bad behaviour? I should be a full fledged sock'er mum..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  51. What a sweet girl, having to clear her little conscience!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Poor girl! At least she confessed.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Don't you just love when kids blame what happened on an inanimate object? :) I hope you're enjoying your day in the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I remember having the same system sometime during my elementary days. It sounds like you have a very precious girl. I must have been a terror because i never remember caring. Talking was funner! Yes, I said funner.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Poor baby.

    You are doing a great job raising her. I hope you realized that when she came to you.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Happy FB day! Kids can spread blame to nearly anything~they never cease to crack me up! It's good that she felt the need to rat on the wind (and on herself a little...but mostly the wind).

    ReplyDelete
  57. What a sweet little girl. Being a teenager will be a little easier for you and her. (I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  58. I remember the card system. My little sister had it in 1st grade, too. As a matter of fact, I think that the ONE time she had to have her card switched to yellow, she hated her teacher for the rest of the year. She starts middle school this year. Kinda scary!

    Cute story. I think she'll be the one who tells on herself when she's a teenager and breaks the rules.

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  59. If only we could know exactly what they are thinking. To be so little and yet so aware What a good little girl to tell you what happend!

    ReplyDelete
  60. What a cute story! It's nice that little kids still have a conscience - since as adults sometimes we don't! :) My DD's are the same way - they have to spill the beans on everything- even if it means they'll get in trouble! Happy SITS Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Can she pass that trait off to my son. What's with boys and just not caring? LOl my son would have just been like oh well its the winds fault not mine. He would have had no problme going to sleep. Joys of parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hmmm, must be a girl thing.
    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Oh that's so sweet! I love her innocence. And boo the wind for getting her in trouble, how rude! :) Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  64. "Ghost sand"...love it! Oh, and I definitely remember staying up late nights as a kid for not 'fessing to something, even if it was small!

    ReplyDelete
  65. oh how adorable! this was totally me as a kid. I would do the exact same thing and still struggle with this as an adult haha a conscience can be good and bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Aw, so cute, how sweet she was to want to confess to BOTH of you!

    ReplyDelete
  67. ok since I follow you already, I have already commented on this originally...so congrats again on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Poor sweetie. A guilty conscience can be so heavy to carry all alone. Good for her for coming and telling you - both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  69. My 17 year old son needs some of his conscience back.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Confessions can do a soul good! - Great parenting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hi from SITS.

    I love the seemed innocence of children.

    Great story.

    And yes, it was the winds fault. :)

    ReplyDelete
  72. Visiting from SITS.

    Wow, that was really weighing on her conscience. But good for her for telling you. Transitioning into a classroom can be tough to get used to but it sounds like she's doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Cute, honest,... and creative... all the traits of a fabulous young lady.

    Stopping by from SITs. Congrats on being the FB

    ReplyDelete
  74. :-)
    Poor Eliz.........darn old wind!


    Have a beautiful day

    ReplyDelete
  75. Aww... Great post.

    Happy SiTs day.

    ReplyDelete
  76. awwww how sweet is that. I love it when they get all conscience stricken... they are just so cute.

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  77. Happy SITS day! Such a sweet girl. I have a chatty cathy myself.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Aah - what a good girl to come forward and tell the truth (even if just a wee bit belatedly)! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  79. Aww..poor thing! It must of been tearing her up inside!

    Visiting from SITS..

    ReplyDelete
  80. Awww how sweet! Now she has a clear conscious:) When my son was in 1st grade, we nicknamed him Marco Polo because the consequence for talking in class, etc., was to walk around the playground for 5 minutes during recess. He logged in a lot of miles:)

    ReplyDelete
  81. Poor little baby, she was worrying herself sick! Good for her that she told the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  82. So cute!

    I think that ghost sand might haunt me tonight too.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Oh, so cute. Sounds like you're raising her right, mama.

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  84. This happened to me when I was in kindergarten...except that it took me several days and it was because I punched the boy next to me in art class. :P

    ReplyDelete
  85. That is very, very sweet. Great kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  86. This is too cute. And so innocent! She shouldn't have gotten a yellow card for that!

    ReplyDelete
  87. That is about the cutest lil'ol thang ever!

    SITS congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  88. How bad is it that I knew what a sand ghost was?

    ReplyDelete
  89. that is one of the sweetest stories I've ever heard!!!

    happy sits day!

    ReplyDelete
  90. Bless this baby's heart! Hope she got some good sleep.

    I think this is a good start to a very open and honest relationship between you all. Keep up the good work and Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  91. Happy SITS day! That was a pretty great confession despite blaming the wind. My son is 5 and when forced to own up to being involved in anything, he is always the hero that was trying to keep the other kids from doing "something bad". He is always innocently swept along by a tide of wrongdoing too powerful to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Aw, the poor thing! That was me as a kid. I would be compelled to confess to things my parents knew nothing about!

    ReplyDelete
  93. Happy SITS day!

    Isn't she just the sweetest kid? Of course, you already know she is. Very cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  94. How sweet! Happy SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  95. Awww...what a sweet girl! Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  96. Pray she keeps that conscience in about 10 years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  97. I enjoyed reading your post. She probably felt so much better after she told the truth.


    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  98. Awwww...how darling!! She confessed. You know - as a kid I used to do that too. Hehehehe too cute

    ReplyDelete
  99. I think it's great that she knew what she did was wrong!

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  100. How cute. My oldest will always fess up when she does something wrong. My second on the other hand is another story! lol

    Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  101. Happy SITS day! That's a really sweet story, and a really special daughter you have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  102. Happy SITS day.
    Its wonderful that you are documenting these little stories. children grow so quickly that its easy to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  103. Happy SITS day! That is a really cute story :)

    ReplyDelete
  104. poor little thing!!

    (and poor husband, who had to be woken up to hear it!!)

    ReplyDelete
  105. We all blossom at different times
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  106. How sweet! It's good that she told you. What a good little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  107. Too cute! Hopefully she stays like this through her teenage years right?! Then you won't have anything to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  108. Visiting from SITS.

    I agree with Mommytoalot - I think the "star" system is a better approach and always encourages kids to earn their rewards for good effort and behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  109. Poor little guilty conscience!

    Ghost sand sounds like a cool game. Silly wind always ruining things for everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  110. What a sweetie. Love how she could go right to sleep once she spilled her guts. Kids are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  111. My goodness what a gorgeous and beautiful soul - learning the lessons of life first hand.
    Sweetness!
    Have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
  112. Aww the behavior cards. How we have struggled with these as well. Good thing she was worried about it and wanted to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  113. Aww, the poor kid! Riddled with guilt...we're familiar with the blame-shifting around here, too. We've always said about our oldest that if she ran headlong into a wall, she'd swear it jumped out in front of her.

    Stopping by from SITS, a little late!

    ReplyDelete

Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .