We went camping to Lake Perris this past Labor Day weekend. As a child, I went camping with my family a lot, but I hadn't been camping recently. I think the last time I went camping was a couple years before Eliz was born. So it's been a long time.
We had planned to stay for two nights but we only stood one night because Michael just wasn't into the whole sleeping in a tent thing. We got there on Saturday afternoon, and set up our tent and everything else. We went with some friends who also have 2 children, so Michael and Eliz had fun playing with them. By the evening, Michael was worn out, so he fell asleep in Mig's arms. Later in the night though, at about 10:00, Michael woke up in the dark tent and he was just crying and crying. He would not lie back down and he didn't fall back asleep until about 4:00 a.m. It was a verrrrrrrrrrrrrry long and exhausting night for all of us.
We think Michael was probably a little scared and confused as to why he was out in the wilderness, asleep in a dark tent instead of being at home in his comfy little bed, so that's why he had such a rough night. In turn, our night was also really rough from the lack of sleep. But there's nothing like hearing a wild animal (of some sort) walking around outside your tent to really wake you up in the morning. That, and some strong coffee of course.
So on Sunday evening, we decided to pack up and go home rather than subjecting Michael to another night of tent sleeping. The drive home wasn't very long, only about 1 hour, and once all of us got to bed, it was the best sleep we'd ever had...
I think we might need to wait a while before we attempt to go camping again, at least until Michael can understand that we will only be staying in the tent for a couple nights and not indefinitely (which is probably what his little brain was thinking.)
I don't have any pictures of our weekend because I can't find my camera charger and the battery died last week... = (
We only live about an hour away from lake Perris as well. I have not been there since I was 16. Went with friends to try and learn how to water ski. Never could get out of the water. But I did learn to never wear a bikini while water skiing. :)
ReplyDeleteWishing you a scent-sational day!
Patty
I gave up on tent camping after a similar experience when my oldest was little. It was a rainy and windy night and she was freaked out by the sounds. After that we found a camp trailer for cheap and its been great ever since!
ReplyDeleteCamping always sounds like an experience I should try... but don't really want to. I would probably be the same as Michael... but mostly confussed as to why I was sleeping in the wilderness instead of in a nice bed :)
ReplyDeleteSE x
Oh. Reading this makes me feel more normal. I think kids have to be old enough to have permanent memories for everyone to like camping (or I'm going by that theory).
ReplyDeleteYep, little kids and camping sometimes don't mix.
ReplyDelete