The past month or so has been pretty uneventful for us. I mean, other than the life-altering decision we made a couple weeks ago to move in with my mom, things have been pretty quiet, dare I even say boring….?
No, definitely not boring. I don’t think life with 2 kids can ever be boring. They won’t allow it. There’s always some kind of noise to be made, something to break, or some mess that needs to be made…
So I guess we’ll just say that things have been uneventful. We’ve just been going on, day by day, and doing everything that needs to be done. Nothing too exciting.
However, the past 2 days have been anything but uneventful.
On Tuesday, Mig learned that his employer will be hiring back 3 guys that have been on layoff status, and Mig is one of them! He will officially be back next Monday! (For those of you that may not know, my husband has been laid off since last November, but his company did not completely let him go. He has been on-call since then and working when they need him.)
Yesterday, (Wednesday) started off with our 7th wedding anniversary. I suppose the day ended with it still being our anniversary, but everything that happened in between left me feeling dizzy and with my stomach in a nervous knot.
A couple hours after Mig left to work, I got a surprising phone call, one I’d lost hope of ever receiving.
It was a woman who works for the community development department of the city we live in, regarding their down payment assistance program that Mig and I applied for last year.
(Basically the down payment program offers a loan <that will be forgiven after a certain number of years> to families who qualify in order to help them purchase their first home. The loan is a significant amount of money that would definitely help someone purchase a home and drastically lower their monthly mortgage payment.)
Mig and I had been approved for the program last year, but funds had run out so we were put on a waiting list.
A little over a month ago, someone for the city called and asked if we were still interested in the program since we were still on the waiting list. They also said that the city council would be meeting the next week to see if they would be able to fund this program for another year, and if funds were approved then we would hear back from them the next week.
No one ever called me back so I figured with the huge budget crisis that California is facing right now, there was no way that the program would be funded for another year.
So we just forgot about it, and we made plans to move in with my mom.
Well the phone call I got yesterday was the lady from the city saying that although it took longer than expected, funds for the program had been approved and that our application was the first on their waiting list!
Right after I got off the phone with her, I went to get my cell phone from the charger in my bedroom. The whole time I was thinking, I can’t wait to tell Mig, but wait, what about my mom? This definitely changes our plans to move in with her. What am I going to tell her?
As I grabbed my phone I noticed that my mom had just left me a text message that said,
“If you’re having 2nd thoughts, doubts, or you guys would just like to have your own home, I would totally understand.. xoxo Mom”
So weird. I don’t know what would make my mom even bring that up. I’ve always thought that she was a bit psychic when it comes to matters concerning her kids and I think her telepathic text might have just confirmed it. When I asked her about it, she said that she just sensed the need to tell me that.
I know this isn’t the best timing for all of this but it would be a great opportunity for us to be able to buy a home. It’s something that we’ve been dreaming about and saving for since we first got married, 7 years ago.
The only thing that might hinder our chances of getting a final approval for the program now is the issue of Mig not having completely stable employment over the past few months. We are worried that the bank might not think favorably of our situation even though Mig will now be off of layoff status.
So we have to turn in some updated documents to the city and to the bank on Monday and then wait and see if we get a final approval based on our situation.
I’m a big believer in all things happening for a reason. So if this is meant to happen, then it’s meant to happen. But if not, then that's ok too. Until then, I guess we’ll just have to wait.
The world works in wonderful ways! :)
ReplyDeletedropping in to say HI from SITS :)
Cindy
http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com
Wow, what a surprise! Hope it all works out the way you want!
ReplyDeleteFYI All moms eventually get the psychic power.
ReplyDeleteStopping by to give a little bloggie love tonight.
That's awesome news!!! Congratulations and I hope it all works out!
ReplyDeleteOh Jolene, I am SO happy for you!! That's great news! You'll be posting new house pics before you know it :)
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome for you guys! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome :) I hope it all works out for you :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations - twice over!
ReplyDeleteWhew! Hope it all turns out okay! :)
ReplyDelete