Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Playground Insults That Never Get Old...

Yesterday when I picked up Eliz from school, I asked her how her day was and she said that it had been a terrible day. I asked her what happened and she said that no one wanted to play with her at recess.

This is a fairly common occurrence with Eliz. Every couple weeks or so, she will say that people don't want to be her friend or that they don't want to play with her. I don't know if that's what truly happens each time she tells me or if she's just being overdramatic (which is definitely a personality trait that Eliz has).

So I've tried to be practical in coaching Eliz about what to say in these situations. I've told her that if someone is trying to hurt her feelings that she should just be nonchalant about it and pretend like it's not bothering her. If someone doesn't want to be her friend, she should just say, "Ok, that's nice. I'll just go play with someone else" and then she should walk away.

So yesterday as we were driving home from school, I started to repeat my advice to Eliz about what to say to kids who are being mean.

But then she told me that some boys were calling her "fat" too and that's why her day was so bad.

This was the first time that anyone has called Eliz such a hurtful name at school.
I immediately began to get angry and defensive for my daughter's sake.

If they were at recess, then I'm sure their teacher wasn't around, so I prepared to call Eliz's teacher to let her know what happened.

I asked Eliz who these rotten boys were, and she told me the names of 2 boys in her class. But then she said that she had already told her teacher and that the boys had to change their behavior cards to red (which would require a note being sent home to their parents to notify them about what caused them to change their card to red.)

So since Eliz's teacher knew about this little incident, I decided not to call her after all. But I said that if it happened again, then I would definitely call her.

Later when Mig asked Eliz how her day was, she began to tell him about her terrible day and about how the 2 boys called her "fat" at recess.

Mig cut Eliz off before she had a chance to finish and asked, "What did I tell you to tell those boys if they called you that again?"

So apparently this had happened before, but I didn't know about it.

Eliz stayed quiet for a moment, but then she said, "But Dad, I can't say that. It's a bad word."

And Mig replied, "It's not a bad word. You just tell them: YOUR MOM IS FAT!"

Even though this was a serious matter, I couldn't contain my laughter. I hadn't heard a 'your mom' insult in quite a while. But then I said, "Miguel, do not tell your daughter to say that. What's wrong with you?"

And he said, "What? She has to defend herself."

Yup. And I guess that would be the way to do it.


(This post was not intended to offend anyone...or their mom.)

12 comments:

  1. Haha! We got a good laugh from that. My hubby agrees that he would probably give the same advice. Men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with the pp, my husband prolly would have gave our kids the same advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy vay! Men! Hopefully those boys will stop after their note home. You never know with some parents though. I hate stuff like that, kids are so mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a consensus. I guess this is the type of advice that dads give to their kids..lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard to not want to defend our babies!!! I'm so sorry those boys said those hurtful things to your daughter!!! I hope it doesn't happen again!!!

    And lol at your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lordy.....did you end up calling the teacher??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just went from being really angry (I was preparing to make a visit to the playground to get my sand throwing hand ready) to laughing so hard! Freakin Miguel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL

    That was great...Like Tati, I felt so mad for poor Elizabeth; some dumb kids can say such hurtful things. But it was really funny to hear Miguel's advice to her. That was great!
    And anyway, people know "Mom jokes" are really meant to insult the person they're being told to. I mean, more than half the time when people make these jokes they've never even seen the "Mom" they're making the remark about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obviously I am so hurt for your daughter, but Mig's suggestion is cracking me up. I can picture the same scenario going down in our house...I love Daddy solutions to this kind of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh. First of all, so sad that little kids learn such hurtful ways. But your husband's advice is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMFG!!!! Give me the name so these kids and i'll wait for them outside of the school!!!! No one talks to my niece like that!...i'll be over your house tonight jo for sure! that gets me mad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by to say HI. I wish all of this stopped in elementary school, but with two in high school and one in middle, you could have been talking about one of my kids. Sad, huh? Kids can be so mean, and I just don't get it.

    I read your blog for Friday (above) also and wanted to say, Congrats on the up-coming Bachelor's. I did a year in school when my first two were 1 and 3 - it's tough!

    ReplyDelete

Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .