Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Problem With Googling Medical Issues

Have you ever had some type of medical issue or malady that you Googled in an attempt to diagnose yourself or even to rule some type of condition out? I'm sure you have, we've all done it.

Have you noticed though that when you Google some type of skin issue, the only pictures that turn up are horrible-looking, haven't-seen-a-doctor-in-years pictures? Pictures so bad that you can only imagine that when the doctor saw it, he/she said, "Oh my God! I've never seen anything like this! I have to get a picture of it!"

...............
On Sunday night when Eliz was getting ready for bed, she said she had a bump on her foot. She showed me a little pinkish bump on the side of her heel and she said that it hurt a little.

I tried to think of what it could be. She had been running around all day, and she was wearing flip-flops, so maybe she bumped her foot or something.

Or maybe...just maybe it could be a plantar wart!!! Ahh, what if it is??!!
I got on the computer to do a little research.

I needed to find some actual pictures of plantarwarts to compare it to the bump that Eliz had on her foot. But all I managed to find were horrible, vomit-inducing pictures of the worst cases possible of plantar warts. (Yuck, I know. Sorry if you're eating or about to eat.)

Eliz's little bump looked nothing like the pictures. She had a tiny bump, not an advanced case. Why couldn't there be at least one picture showing a mild case?
So the pictures didn't really help, and it made me think that I don't really see the point in websites showing only the gruesome, advanced cases of medical issues because if my foot looked even slightly like anything in those pictures, you better believe I'd be at the doctor and not at home trying to find information about what I had. I'm just saying...

If you'd like to see the horrible, appetite suppressing pictures I mentioned,
click here Seriously though, you won't be hungry for at least a few hours. (You've been warned.)

5 comments:

  1. My problem with googling symptoms is I convince myself I have some rare disease even if only a few of my symptoms match. I try to avoid researching medical conditions to avoid going into hypochondriac mode! But you're right. They do show the most gruesome pictures possible. I'm about ready to eat so I'm going to refrain from clicking the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *urk* I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...thanks for the warning though. I guess I'm too curious for my own good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im going to take your word for it that it is disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know i'm addicted to WebMD that's how I diagnose most of my ailments LOL... but the pictures on google ewwww!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to (and still do occasionally) search the Web to diagnose problems and you're so right, they only show pictures of the worst possible cases of the ailments.
    LOL
    Well, glad to know I'm not the only one who does this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .