Sunday, May 31, 2009

Twilight was...

So I started reading Twilight on Wednesday night and I finished it by Thursday morning. You know a book is good when you just have to keep reading to find out what happens but then as you are nearing the end, you don't want the book to finish yet. That's what reading Twilight was like for me.

When we talked about the book in my Adolescent Literature class, I must say that I was surprised by everyone's reaction to it. The class was divided into half: those who loved the book and those who absolutely haaaaaaaaaaaaated it.

The people that loved the book (myself included) loved it for obvious reasons of course. It was a good story, an easy read, and we loved the forbidden romance between Edward and Bella.

The various reasons that some of the people hated it were because Meyer didn't follow traditional vampire lore in her story, because the writing was not that great, and because they thought the story was totally misogynistic.
(I don't know about any of that, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.)

I can't wait to start reading the next book in the series but I have to finish up the rest of my work for this quarter. This is my last week of classes and then I'm done!

12 comments:

  1. SO glad you liked it! I liked it very much myself. I think one of the things I liked the most was that Bella is a tomboy, I can relate to her. I was disappointed in the movie, they really "girly-ed" her up LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM PROUD TO ANNOUNCE!!!!!!! THAT........... I FOUND A SPELLING MISTAKE IN YOUR TWILIGHT BLOG!! HA! GOT YOU!.. ON THE SECOND PARAGRAPH " The class was divided into half: those you loved the book and those who absolutely haaaaaaaaaaaaated it."

    Sorry just had to point that out, just because i've never seen you make a mistake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I read twilight in a day too!

    Yes, there are some downfalls to it, but overall I was totally hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been toying with reading Twilight, but can't get past the whole vampire part. Not really my thing. However, everyone I've heard who's read it loves it, so I might just have to check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked it. The ones who hated it are just mad they didn't think of the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sort of in the middle about Twilight, the first couple times I read it, I loved it. But it's just kind of worn off on me lately. Wait till you get to Breaking Dawn...ugh. I'm cringing just thinking about it.

    Glad you're enjoying it though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the first book a lot. It was a good, easy read and I remember my teen years and loving someone that I really shouldn't love. I just liked the book. Then I read #2 and sort of liked it. #3 was good and I hated #4. So there ya have it. My opinions on it! With 3 kids I tend to go for quick and easy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummmmmm, Mr. Bunny I don't see where the mistake is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I already fixed it. I wrote 'you' instead of 'who.' Thanks for keeping me on top of it, Mr. RabbitTeeth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, pleasure reading! How nice. Totally makes the end of the quarter and summer break that much more enjoyable.

    Hooray!

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's written for a younger audience, so of COURSE it won't follow the traditional vampire lore. There are so many different takes on the book, and to each their own! I loved the story and that I could share my love of it with my 13YO daughter. My mom loves the books, too!

    In the second book, you will get annoyed by Bella. But you will still want to keep reading, and it gets better again.

    I'm glad you liked it. You either love it or hate it, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my friends got me into the Twilight series and I have to say I devoured them all. They are kind of mind-candy but fun:-)

    ReplyDelete

Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .