Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Honest Liar

On Monday, Elizabeth had the day off of school, which was good because she had been sick all weekend.

On Tuesday, she was feeling better, but she still had a bad cough and a lot of congestion. It was still raining, so I decided to let her stay home to have one more day of rest, with the plan that she would definitely go back to school on Wednesday.


Well on Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning, Eliz woke up and said that her ear was hurting.
I gave her some Tylenol for the pain and then she went back to sleep.
But I couldn't really go back to sleep because ear pain for Elizabeth could only mean one thing: she probably had an ear infection.
I laid awake for a while thinking about this. I would have to take her to the doctor of course, to make sure her ear tubes were ok. But would I take her to her regular pediatrician, (which would have been fine) or should I take her to her ear, nose, & throat specialist (who is very familiar with Eliz and the problems she has had in the past).
I finally decided that I should probably just make an appointment with Eliz's pediatrician, because the ENT is usually booked up, and I went back to sleep.

I woke up early yesterday (Wednesday) so that I could make an appt. for Eliz as soon as the call center opened.
At 7:00, I woke up Eliz to see how she was doing, and how her ear was feeling.
When I asked her if her ear was still hurting, she said,
"Well...uh...kind of....a little bit. It was hurting last night, but then
it went away. But it doesn't hurt right now...only a little....but it
could come back in a little while...."

So after noticing that she was taking a little too long to explain just how much or how little her ear was actually hurting, I said, "Uh huh, sure. Get dressed, your butt is going to school."

But I was still secretly debating whether she should go to school or not. I didn't want to send her to school if she wasn't feeling good, and I had made her the appt. already.........

A little while later, I was combing Eliz's hair, and she surprised me by saying, "Mommy, I really feel better. I was just faking. I wanted to stay home again."

Such honesty...lol

I can only hope that Eliz's sense of honesty (or guilty conscience rather) will follow her into her teenage years...

3 comments:

  1. lol! That is sooo funny! If I were her I don't think I would have ever fessed up at her age, hehe

    Well you got a good one (kid) on your hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that she is so honest! I love that about little kids! They are like an open book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids are hilarious, aren't they? Love how they start off fibbing, but then 'come clean'... :) My Little Princess will tell me the truth, but sometimes preface it with 'Promise you won't be mad at me?' LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete

Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .