Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Hero - Writer's Workshop

This week's writing prompts, brought to you by Mama Kat are as follows:

The Prompts:
1.) If I sent you four hundred dollars today what is ONE thing you would spend it on and why. ps I want my change.
2.) What are your kids talking about?
3.) Tell us about a local news story that's all the buzz right now in your neck of the woods.
4.) Share some blogging advice.
5.) Tell us about that time at the playground when that thing happened.

................................................................................
I'm going to choose #5:

My cousin, Tatiana is about 2 years younger than me. (Maybe you guys might remember her from when she did a guest post for me a couple months ago.) Well we are very close. You could even say we are like sisters. When we were kids, Tatiana (or Tati for short) always spent the night with us on the weekends and she would practically spend all of summer vacation with us too.

One summer, we went to a nearby park and were playing on the playground. I must have been about 8 years old, so Tati must have been about 6 years old. I had just sat down on a swing when this boy, who was a neighbor of mine, sat down on one of the swings too and started teasing me.

I don't remember what he was teasing me about because I got teased pretty frequently for being shorter than most kids my age. (But don't all kids get teased anyway?)
So the names I usually got called were things like: shorty, shrimp, shrimpy, midget, dwarf. (Aren't kids just lovely to each other?)

Since I just accepted teasing as a part of childhood, (and probably since I was very timid) I just ignored this boy.

But Tati didn't.....
She went up to him, grabbed a fistful of sand, and threw it right in his mean little face!

Naturally, the boy stopped teasing me and instead, stood there for a few minutes rubbing the sand out of his poor, burning little eyes (ha!) and then he ran away.

I couldn't believe Tati had just done that. She was my hero: brave enough to do something that I never could have done myself, and she did it all in my defense.

Now, I'm not encouraging or condoning this kind of kid-on-kid violence, but sometimes, things like this just have to be done, and some kids just need to be taught a lesson. I can't remember that boy ever bothering me anymore after this incident, maybe because he learned that if he called me a name in front of Tati, he would be eating sand for lunch. (ha!)

And come to think of it, maybe I just figured out who Elizabeth gets her sand-throwing abilities from...

6 comments:

  1. Go Tati! I love it! And she was 2 years younger! Nobody puts Baby in the corner, Nobody!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Tati!! Mean little boy! I am a shorty too, but as a kid I was always average so I managed to avoid getting teased. I just never had that big preteen growth spurt that everyone else did, thats when I became a shorty. Luckily after we were past the nanny nanny boo boo stage lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I remember that day, you know I'll always have your back! BTW, me and Edgar couldn't stop laughing at the Ghost Sand post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And just to set the record straight, Tati has not changed one bit, lol

    ReplyDelete

Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .