Thursday, April 23, 2009

This Song is About What? - Writer's Workshop

I'm a little late this week with MamaKat's writer's workshop. I had an exam today that I needed to study for like a madwoman. (Phonetics...fun stuff I tell ya)

So here are the prompts:


1.) Book review!
2.) When is it okay not to listen to the words? Explain about a song you really love that has lame lyrcis or lyrics you simply don't understand.
(writingfix.com)
3.) Why won't you forget? List six true sentences that begin with the words 'I'll never forget...' Then use all six of your sentences in a paragraph, poem, or longer descriptive piece.
(writingfix.com)
4.) Write about an interaction you had with a salesman.
5.) What's for dinner? I'm starving.
................................................
I'll choose #2...

The other day I heard a song on the radio that I hadn't heard in a very long time: "Best I Ever Had" by Vertical Herizon. I used to like this song when it first came out. I was probably still in high school at the time. I like the music and the poignant lyrics (which I thought were) about the sadness the singer is feeling about a recent breakup.
So I came home and added it to the playlist we have here on our computer.
A couple days later I was working on the computer and I turned the song on. Michael was here next to me and he started swaying and dancing to the music.

A minute later, Miguel walked in and said to me,
"You know what this song is about, don't you?"
"About a breakup, right?"
"Come on, he's talking about the best he ever had. The first line says that she left in the 'gray-skied morning.' You don't get it? She left early the next morning, and she was the best he ever had.....like, in bed. Just think about it."


So I did think about it. It had never even occurred to me that the song could be about that, but he did have a point.

I still don't know whether I accept Mig's interpretation of the song or not. It's such a nice song that I'd rather believe it is about a heartbroken guy who misses his girlfriend....

I guess you can decide for yourself.

If the kiddos are around, they should put their earmuffs on, with the (possible) profanity in the song and all...





Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

7 comments:

  1. I think I go with your reasoning of the song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great this is totally gonna be in my head forever now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of it that way either, but it sounds too good to be about "THAT". ;) So I'll just keep thinking that it's about a breakup lol.

    P.S. thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita and I had an experience like this. There is an old classic rock song called "Lola" by The Kinks that we really like. My mom said one day, (just like Miguel) "You know what this song is about right?" and I said, "What?" then she said, "He accidentally hooked up with a transvestite at a bar." I was kind of shocked, but then when I really listened to the lyrics, it turned out to be true. But I guess that always happens, we sing lyrics never fully thinking about what they mean, funny huh? I still love that damn song though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hop on over and check out my latest posting...there's a surprise waiting for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knew? I'm with you. I had no idea what this song is about.

    I guess it shouldn't come as a big surprise, though. I am usually belting out the wrong lyrics when I am in the car...drives my husband crazy!

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Miguel may be right, although I can easily see why you could mistake it for what you thought it was about...afterall it does sound very wholesome :)

    On the other hand, Lola, the song Tati referenced, is the perfect example of a song you wouldn't want Michael dancing to. lol

    ReplyDelete

Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .