Saturday, March 7, 2009

COBRA Health Coverage

I know that President Obama has been working very hard on healthcare reform and change really couldn't come any sooner....

Since we no longer have health insurance through Mig's employer as of March 1, because of the layoff, we got a letter yesterday offering us the chance to continue our health coverage through COBRA.

As I opened the letter, I breathed a sigh of relief, because at least now, we could continue to have health insurance. I knew that we'd probably have to pay a lot more than we are used to....

But I was not prepared for how much it would actually cost.
If we want to continue our health coverage through COBRA, we are supposed to cough up {cough, cough, hack, hack} almost $900 a month! Whether we want all 4 of us covered, or even just 1 of us, the price stays the same.
This is just about impossible.

COBRA was created so that families would still be covered even though they lost their health benefits, most likely due to a job loss.
But what I don't understand is, how are families who are dealing with unemployment or underemployment (which is the case with Mig) supposed to have an extra $900 just lying around? How does that even make sense?


I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining. I feel blessed to have all of us in good health. And even though Mig has not been officially called back to work full-time, he is still on-call, so we are fortunate in that sense.

11 comments:

  1. That really sucks! I've been without healthcare for three years now. It can be scary, but there's no way we could afford it right now. Luckily, Batman has state-funded kids healthcare, so at least he's covered. I really hope Obama is sucessful in reforming health care, that was one of my main reasons for voting for him. Healthcare shouldn't be a privilage for people who can afford it. It should be a right, for everyone! (Okay off my soapbox now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't you apply for state help? Atleast for state health insurance? I hope things work out! And I hope he gets his job back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. COBRA is a racket if you ask me! I really hope that you are able to find a more cost effective alternative! Thanks for the follow BTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetie, if you were complaining, no one would blame you! That is outrageous--a true testament to what is fundamentally wrong with the health care system in the US.

    I would send a copy of that letter to the Secretary of Health & Human Services or send an email via the White House's web site at http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/cabinet/. I'm a firm believer that "if you ask not, you get not" so see if your story can make a difference.

    I'm wishing you and your family the best of health and abundant prosperity :>).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went through the same thing when our third child was born. My husband's company went through a huge layoff the month before I was due. It was so frustrating, but we had to have the insurance. What a pain, I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Health care costs are so high! You make an excellent point in that how can it be reasonably expected that a person who would require their COBRA benefits to kick in, be able to even afford it? Some of these government programs are just so freakin' flawed that they make no sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. stppong by from SITS.
    WOW...if anybody calls that complaining...they are crazy!!! i could really go on and on about this but would not want to offend anybody....so i hope everything works out!!! but no i think we all agree....$900 is way out of control!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a killer, isn't it? Health care in this country is an absolute joke. I hope you get it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i know! i'm dealing with that right now. it's almost as much as our RENT. it really bites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should be aware that the stimulus package that was just passed includes a temporary cap of COBRA group health premiums for laid off/fired employees of 35%. That means that you only need to pay 35% of the entire premium, and this applies for the first 9 months of COBRA coverage. In case you're wondering, the employer picks up the 65% and gets a tax credit for doing so.

    So, you should find out if your former employer is aware of the new law, to confirm if that $900 a month is 35% of the premium. Normally under COBRA you can be required to pick up 100% (plus a 2% administrative fee) of your premium. The law only applies to workers laid off between 9/1/08 and 12/31/09. I would check the facts and see what you can find out ... best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .