Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's Been a Long Day & Update on Mig's Layoff

Since I was up way early, my day has felt extra long. After the two babies woke up from their naps, Michael actually started to play nice with D. Well, mostly anyway.
I didn't get to bake the cookies I wanted to, and I was starting to feel disappointed and guilty for not planning ahead. Actually, I was beginning to feel disappointed and guilty for other reasons too. We did not buy gifts for anyone this year except for the gift exchange that we are in for Mig's family.
I've said before that we've never had an abundant amount of money, but every year we usually buy at least a little something for our immediate family (parents and siblings) and for all of the kids in our family.
This year, with Mig being laid off and the future being somewhat uncertain for us, we only bought a few gifts for Michael and Elizabeth to open on Christmas morning from "Santa."

I haven't given an update on Mig's layoff lately because it has gotten worse, and I haven't really wanted to think about it....

When the layoff started last month, Mig was the last one to be laid off, meaning he was the guy with the most seniority among all the ones that were laid off. Since he's been on-call, he has been the first person to be called so he was working pretty regularly.

At the beginning of last week, 4 more guys were laid off, which was bad, but not horrible because Mig still had a good chance of being called in.

Well, last Friday at the end of the day, 10 additional guys were laid off, for a grand total of about 30, and Mig is right in the middle. So he might be called in, but he might not.
I've been worrying so much about two things in particular (aside from the obvious money issue):
-If Mig does not work a certain number of hours each month, then he is not eligible for benefits for the month after...i.e. health insurance.
-With Mig's erratic and unpredictable schedule, I don't know which classes, if any I will be able to take for Winter quarter, because Mig is the one who watches Michael and picks up Eliz from school when I am at school (and I am thisclose to finishing my degree after working on it for yearssssssssssssssssssssssssss........)

But I realized that worrying will not accomplish anything. And I realized that I shouldn't be feeling guilty and disappointed about not being able to buy gifts for anyone because I'm sure they all understand.

I'm going to try to forget about all of this, for the next few days at least, because all of this is really in God's hands, not mine.
I decided that I will just enjoy the time we will be spending with our family.
I will appreciate everything that I have been blessed with because we are all (mostly) healthy {cough, cough}, and loved, and we have everything we need, and that's all that matters.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jolene,
    So after learning more about your blog, I decided to drop by. :)
    I can imagine times are tough and its hard to stay positive when things don't seem to be getting better, but keep in mind that they always eventually do so hang in there! These experiences only make us stronger and if they do get really, really hard, there will always be family there to lend a helping hand so keep your chin up!
    The best thing to remember is, so long as we live to see the sun rise another day, things can't be all that bad :)

    ReplyDelete

Is anyone out there? Please feel free to leave a comment ♥ Otherwise, it's just me and the crickets. .