Ok I have a confession to make....
I am 26 years old and I bite my nails. I have ever since I can remember. It's not something that I'm proud of. In fact, I despise this aspect of my personality....the complete lack of self-control and my inability to stop.
I know my nails look hideous.
I know my cuticles hate me.
I know about all the gross germs.
I know. I know. I know.
But I just can't stop.
I've tried to stop many, many times before.
I've lost count of how many times I've made this my new year's resolution. I usually make a promise to myself that I'll stop biting my nails for the aesthetic benefits it will bring to my boyish hands and also for the health benefits as I will no longer be exposing myself to disgusting germs. On that note, my husband even once threatened to stop kissing me if I didn't stop. But have I stopped? Nooooooooooooooooooo
Since this bad habit has just become an innate part of my being, I either forget that I'm trying to stop or else I just give up and start biting them again because my nails have grown out a little and I need a nail-biting fix. (I'm aware that I sound like a junkie right now.)
I think the problem has been that there are no repercussions if you break a promise you've made to yourself, (unless you are particulary masochistic). You just say, oh well that didn't go like I planned, and move on.
But I'm thinking (and hoping) that this year will be different. I'm ready to make a conscious effort to stop. I think that if I publicly pledge to stop biting my nails, then I will somehow be more accountable for following through with it.
I'm going to add a ticker to the side of my blog and it will keep track of my progress. That way, every time I think about biting my nails, I will think twice about being a complete failure for not following through with my promise.
I'm starting today. Wish me luck...
Hope you accomplish your goal! I used to bite my nails to until I quit...and realized I was continuously biting the insides of my cheeks! Lol!
ReplyDeleteGood luck! Breaking bad habits is never easy to do. My bad habit is eating overindulgence. I can never just have one of something. If its there, I want to eat it, even if I'm full.
ReplyDeleteI actually can remember you always being a nail biter as a kid. I didn't realize you still did it. lol
Well I wish you much success in trying to stop this time around. :)
ugh...i bite mine too....I wish I could give it up!
ReplyDeleteHey 21 hours of no nail biting! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteHave you ever tried to get your nails done? Meaning fake nails? Maybe that could help you!
I bite mine too! But not all the time. Just when I'm really nervous. I used to keep fake nails all the time...but now I don't have the time or money to do that.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
I'm rooting for you!
ReplyDeleteMy three year old recently started biting her fingernails a bit. I'm so trying to gently get her to stop before it becomes a habit. wish me luck!