So Michael is finally feeling better after having a fever since Sunday. I took him to the doctor first thing Monday morning because fevers tend to freak me out a bit.
I guess it's because for the first couple years of Elizabeth's life, she would get recurrent ear infections. But she wouldn't cry or complain or even act any differently until out of nowhere, she would get a fever. (And even with the fever, she would still act fine.) I would take her to the doctor and she would have an ear infection, which was a complete surprise to me, because I had no idea that she had one. One time, both of her ears were infected, and I had no clue. I used to wonder if she just had a high pain tolerance (because you all know that ear infections really hurt) or if maybe the ear infections just didn't cause her any pain (which is unlikely).
So anytime she got a fever, I would take her to the doctor, and the chances were good that she had another infection. It seemed like she would get at least one infection a month or every other month, I can't really remember now.
Finally when she was 3 yo, she was referred to an ear, nose, and throat specialist and an audiologist and we found out that she had fluid in her ears, which was causing the ear infections to develop so frequently and she was also experiencing some temporary hearing loss with the fluid. She had ear tubes put in and she was ear infection-free for about 2 years, until one of the tubes fell out (which is normal, as they are temporary).
The very next month, she got an ear infection, then 2 months later, another one.
So in August of this year she had another set of ear tubes put in and her adenoids taken out (During the surgery, the ENT discovered that her adenoids were so enlarged, they were blocking 70% of her nasal passages).
So she hasn't had another ear infection since then and hopefully when this second set of ear tubes comes out, she won't get them like before.
So back to Michael and the panic I felt when he developed his first fever ever this past Sunday. I started wondering if he might have an ear infection too and I thought of everything that Elizabeth had gone through.
(She is still receiving speech therapy and thankfully her speech has come a very long way since the first set of tubes were put in.)
I took Michael to the doctor on Monday, and what do you know? The doctor said his ears looked fine and she could find no other sign of infection, so he must have a virus of some sort. Well thank goodness for that. I guess I was worried for nothing.
I'm glad it's not an ear infection! I hate fevers too. They freak me out because you just never know what's going on to cause them! And I know how much I hate having fevers so I don't want the kids to go through it. Hopefully he's feeling better!
ReplyDelete