The Land Before Time was released in 1988, when I was 6 years old. I'm talking about the original movie, because since then, there have been about 173 sequels. (None of them as good as the original, in my opinion.)Last night, Eliz got to watch The Land Before Time at the same age that I was when I first saw it.
When it finished, Eliz said that it was a good movie, but a really sad one.
I think she was referring to the scene where Little Foot becomes a dino-orphan.
While we were watching that part, Eliz looked a little choked up, like she wanted to cry. (Which would have been perfectly ok. Even I got a little choked up during that scene, even though I already knew that Little Foot's mom wasn't going to make it past the first 15 minutes of the movie.)
Now, maybe Elizabeth was embarrassed, or maybe she's just never heard the expression "lump in your throat," because right as Little Foot's mom was saying her good-byes, =...( Elizabeth said:
"Uh..my neck hurts. I think I need a glass of water or something."
So she got up, got some water, and when she returned, the sad scene was over.
So now I have a question for you: which scene do you think is sadder?
- The Land Before Time scene where Little Foot's mom dies?
OR
- The scene from Bambi, where Bambi's mom dies?
I just can't decide, they're both so sad....
Our library has many of the sequels to The Land Before Time and Brody loves them. But I think it's just because they have dinosaurs and he loves dinosaurs. I don't even think they have the original one which is the only one I ever watched as a child. I can't decide which one is worse. The one that always got me as a kid was Old Yeller.
ReplyDeleteI'd have to go with the Land Before Time - simply because although I've seen Bambi a dozen and two times... I can't seem to apply or recall any moving emotion associated with Bambi's mom's death - but I certainly recall what sadness there was when Little Foot's mom died. Heart wrenching.
ReplyDeleteStopping by from SITS! Hope Tuesday is a good one!
Oh my God I loved Land Before Time! I've even got the stuffed animals. I slept with Littlefoot until I was in high school!
ReplyDeleteStopped in from SITS!
They are both equally sad.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny you post about this. My son who just turned three got this movie for his birthday and we watched it 3 times in 24 hours.
I loved loved loved this movie when I was a kid and couldn't believe it was only an hour and 9 minutes when we watched it. I had almost forgot how much I loved Duckie...yep yep yep!
How can you even question it? The Land Before Time scene is waaay more sad. Yeah so the Bambi scene is sad as well but I feel like I never connected with her. Not enough dialogue. The LBT scene on the other hand makes you want to shoot yourself because the mother seems so loving toward Little Foot. And at least Bambi had his dad.
ReplyDeleteSo in an effort to make a well-informed decision I watched both clips of the scenes you referenced on Youtube.
ReplyDeleteAnd I gotta say, I disagree with the commenter above. lol Okay, I mean Tati.
The reason is...seeing poor little Bambi's big, scared eyes looking at the "Great Prince" when he learned the truth about his mom was just so heartbreaking. Then how he lowered his head in sadness as a tear fell from his eye while that fateful music played...and also, the revelation that the "Great Prince" was actually his Father...So much emotion tied with that scene.
Lastly, the scene as his father tells him to come with him and Bambi begins timidly following him and then stops and sadly looks back with his head hung low... ;'(
So sad.
So although the scene where Littlefoot's mom dies is also sad, since he was there and talking with her as she took her last breath allowed more comfort for him and the audience.
Bambi on the other hand, never knew what happened and never got to see his mom again. Once that shot rang through the woods as they fled, she was gone and you never saw her again. Also it was really sad because one minute they were happy because they found food(grass) in the winter snow and were happy. Then the fear of them running as they sensed danger was near also made the scene so dreadful.
I just felt more of my emotion being tied with Bambi's mom's death. Okay there's my analysis. lol
Thanks for making me cry at work, hehe j/k